Monday, October 14, 2013

1st week in Lake Placid

I got here after a LONG day of travel on October 6th. It started with a 2:30 am drive to the Memphis airport . Then 3 flights to get to Albany at 1:30 followed by at 5 hour wait for a shuttle to pick me up from the Olympic Training Center and lastly a 2.5 hour drive from Albany to Lake Placid to arrive promptly at 9pm. THAT WAS A LONG DAY OF TRAVELING!! But I arrived alive and well nonetheless.

I arrived on the 6th because we were supposed to start sliding on the 9th, but due to warm weather conditions (around 70 degrees) the 9th turned into the 13th. So our first time to slide was Sunday October 13th.

What have I been doing you ask... I have tried to prepare as much as I can for sliding. I took out the padding and re taped my sled. We also walked down the track to see how the ice is. (a little weird when you can walk down a mile long shoot of ice in short sleeves) We also have been enjoying the extra time we have to prepare aka sunbathing!!! I decided I am just going to fill this blog with a lot of pictures to show you what I've been doing!


APPARENTLY IT WAS BLUEISH PURPLE SHIRT DAY IN THE WEIGHT ROOM!

The inside of my sled!! no motor here.. Just some medal welded together!

View of the track from the start house! 

This curve is named "Shady" for a reason

this is the Not SO Straight  straight away. 

You can see how tall some of these curves are. 

of course we needed to get away and buy us some Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Feeling out this ice!! Changes everyday

Now we don't get much for free so when we do we get REALLY excited. TESA TAPE! This is the tape we use on our sleds because it sticks in all temperatures!

One of the "specials" that our cook Allen made. Salmon on top of veggie risotto. LEGIT

The LINE for the Salmon!!! Don't mind the guy in the foreground ha!

The first day of sliding! Sleds all ready to go!!




We also got to watch the USA Team trials for the bobsled team this weekend so here are some of the videos of their beast mode pushes.



This is Jaz driving and Lolo Jones Pushing. They took 3rd



This is Jamie Driving and Katie Pushing. They took 2nd


Elana and Aja (they are top 2 athletes) They took 1st

Steve Holcomb (gold medalist 2010) and Steve Langton Push (they took 1st) 


No comments:

Post a Comment