Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Team Trials and On!


So Let’s try and catch you up to my sliding life!
We had team trials last month. I had some ups and some downs, but the good thing is I was chosen to race on the Americas Cup circuit. This year is definitely a different year in terms of our racing tactics across all the circuits. Let me try and explain this as simply as I can. In theory there are 6 spots for TEAM USA  (3 for World Cup and 3 for Intercontinental Cup) The top 3 sleds go to the Olympics. But there are only 4 Nations in the World that are allotted 3 spots on each circuit, and how you perform on the circuits deciphers if you get 1, 2, or 3 sleds. Well the US women’s team lost 2 sleds last season. Now we have to gain those sleds back before the Olympics so we are able to show up with full quota, Because of this they have shifted people all around in order to give us our best shot to get our sleds back. This means we have to split A LOT of races this year and move athletes all around. Many of the athletes will not get every race. Though this may not be fun at this moment it is crucial in earning our sleds back.

Park City Training- Curves 10-11


Park City Training - Curves 4 to 5


I was awarded a race in Calgary a couple weeks ago. Now for those who do not know, this is where I BUSTED my nose last year and that was pretty bloody to say the least. BUT this year I would have to say I BEAT the track instead of it beating me!!
My Helmet LAST YEAR after busting my face in Calgary

My Old Helmet and my NEW SHINY AWESOME HELMET
Old Helmet..BOOOOO
NEW HELMET! YEAAHHHHHH!!
THANKS SOOOO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME TO BUY THIS HELMET!!!!!!!!
It really DOES make a difference!!!



The race had sliders from Russia, Spain, Japan, Korea, Canada, Australia, and some other countries. In regards to the race I place 14th. Usually I wouldn’t be happy with that, BUT this race was extremely competitive.  There were World Cup sliders in the race as well as ICC sliders. And since it was Canada’s home track, those girls had some INCREDIBLE times. So I can’t really complain. I had 2 BIG PR’s on race day with a start PR as well.  One of my coaches say “Everything is practice until an Olympic Year anyway.”

Calgary - Curves 4-5


Calgary- Curves 8-9-10


As of my next adventure, I AM GOING UP TO WHISTLER FOR TRAINING!  Why am I so excited you ask? Well Whistler was home to the last Olympics. It’s considered one of the most difficult tracks in the world!! It combines extremely HIGH speeds (80-90 miles an hour) with technically difficult driving. Normally you don’t combine both these elements on a track, BUT WHISTLER DOES!  What does this mean for me?? Well I will probably have some pretty awesome pictures of bruises to post (hopefully that’s it). I can’t wait to slide the track, I feel if I conquer that track, then there isn’t much to fear on other tracks.


Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving  with their friends and family!!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to have a lot of trouble responding to your blogs, Kristina! Let's try this again...
    Thanks for updating your blog - I truly enjoy following your adventures!
    Thanksgiving was great but we missed being with you and Paul. I am so glad you were able to get back to Mississippi for the holiday. Keeping my fingers crossed for Christmas!
    Good luck in Whistler and stay safe!
    Mary J

    ReplyDelete