Saturday, September 29, 2012

Combine and National Push Champs 2012

I got up to Lake Placid On September 16th and I have been staying at the Lake Placid Olympic Training Center. It's always a blessing to stay here because food and housing is free. GOTTA LOVE THAT! 
Since I have been here I have participated in my yearly combine that I must take in order to meet one of the qualifications for housing at Lake Placid. It is a test of 8 events ( 15m sprint, 30m sprint, 45m sprint, 30m fly, broad jump, granny toss shot put, 3 rep max squat, 1 rep max clean) with a possible score of 800. The minimum score you can get is 650. This year I had a personal best score of 734. I am pretty happy with that since it is in the top 5 scores this year on the female side. I wanted to run .04 faster on my sprints, but I did run faster than last year so thats all I can ask for.  I have been battling a back problem so this year in the weight room I did not try and max out like I had in previous years. I stuck with a weight I knew I could hit without the possibility of aggravating my back. Although I did let ego get in the way and I thought I would try and Power Clean my life goal (90 kilos/ 198lbs) I did not want to full clean it so I could save my legs for Push Champs, but I figured ehh what the heck I'll try and power clean it. I missed...dangit...


82.5 Kilos power clean (182 lbs) @ Combine


90kilo (198lbs) Power Clean Attempt (sort of turned into a full clean thing) @ Combine


107.5 kilo squat for 3 reps (237 lbs) @ Combine 


Today we had US Skeleton Push Championships. We push on a push track that  reminds me of a roller coaster. The sensation is a bit different than pushing on ice but it gives a good idea who is pushing the fastest. This year I took 6th place out of 17 girls. I set 2 Personal Records on the push track so I can't really ask for too much more. I am excited to work on the track for 2 more weeks before we start training on ice for National Team Trials. I think by that time I should be back in the swing of things with my push because it is feeling a bit rusty
                                        One of my practice pushes from this week of training

For the next 2 weeks I will be living at a church in town due to the fact bobsled athletes are coming in for 2 weeks to do their push championships and a combine so they will be taking up much of the bed space in the Olympic Training Center which limits housing for the rest of us. I am just excited that the church is housing us for free. There will be about 6 Skeleton athletes that will be staying there. I am very thankful for that. 
I am excited and blessed to be up here right now. I cannot wait for team trials and to see what this season has in store for me. I know I worked as hard as I could this summer to get better so I am ready for whatever is thrown my way. I truly appreciate all the support, I can't thank everyone enough!!!

1 comment:

  1. You go K-Money!!! You are freakin AWESOME!!! Remember to keep God first and everything else will be a cake walk.

    ReplyDelete